Christmas gifts with a difference
Stuck for something to buy someone? Or maybe you’re tightening the purse strings this year? Then look no further for inspiration for some alternative Christmas gifts…
- Frame a meaningful photograph or put together a photo album or a calendar for the family with everyone’s photos and birthdays.
- Videotape and interview your parents or grandparents about childhood memories of Christmas and other poignant times like how they met and give to siblings or children.
- Give seeds in a little basket with a note on how best to grow them. For edible plants, provide a recipe or two.
- Donate to a charity in the name of a loved one. Try oxfamunwrapped.com. It allows you to send a gift to the 3rd World and depending on your budget you can buy chickens, blankets, radios, right up to a travelling theatre! You can also trade in some shop gift vouchers to buy something like a goat.
- Give children a gift of music or sports lessons instead of another toy. Or, if you have a skill yourself, e.g. knitting, playing tennis, offer to teach them it.
- Give the gift of time. Begin with a gift certificate that offers babysitting, a home-cooked meal, or a monthly lunch date with a relative or friend. Or create coupons for a massage, spring cleaning, manicure, etc.
- Paint an empty wine bottle with non-toxic paint and fill with olive oil. Top with an oil pour spout that can be found at a gourmet cooking shop.
- Give away one of your favourite things. With a note saying why it’s special to you, or why it’s brought you joy, and why you now want to pass that joy to someone else.