The perfect cover-up
It’s time to wrap up warm – so here’s Candis fashion editor Justine Brennan’s top tips on choosing the perfect coat this Autumn. See the October issue for her pick of the best!
- Play down a large bust with wrap coats and shawl collars. Avoid double-breasted or high necklines.
- Oversized cocoon coats look great on taller frames but swamp petites.
- Petite figures look incredible in structured military or minimalistic styles.
- Apple-shaped figures suit loose designs that hang from the shoulders, like oversized crombies or cocoon coats.
- Larger frames should avoid plaids and stripes – if you’re partial to a bold coat choose a bright colour or geometric pattern instead.
- Belted coats are fabulous for creating shape, but if you’re already blessed with plenty of curves then choose a fitted coat instead, as belted can bunch making fuller figures look larger.
- Don’t be ‘put off’ a gorgeous embellished coat because it looks ‘too evening’, sparkle for day is just as acceptable.
- Pear shapes need to balance their frame; stick to belted or fitted coats to embrace the figure but ensure there is plenty going on at the neckline – try fur or a shawl collar.