Young Minds – Coping with Change
Paid content from Candis advertiser The Naked Pharmacy
September is a month full of changes– whether your child is going back to school, college or university, or starting somewhere new, the new academic school year provides a whole host of new and unique challenges for adolescents. It can be an overwhelming time for students and families alike, so having effective tools to manage change can make a big difference to a student’s general wellbeing.
Moments of high-stress can be incredibly testing to children and adolescents without sufficient coping strategies.
Exam pressure, being away from home, dealing with living independently and social media usage are all factors that can exacerbate emotional stress in children and young people and end up affecting academic achievement. Young people are facing a unique set of pressures that previous generations aren’t as accustomed to, which can make articulating concerns and talking about issues more difficult. If problems go unchecked or adults remain unaware then over time, anxiety and low mood can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
This is confusing to children and adolescents as they are not used to the symptoms they’re feeling, such as shortness of breath or negative thought patterns and subsequently have difficulty working through what they are experiencing. Add into the mix that familiar family or friends might not be nearby for reassurance and it can become a pressure cooker scenario.
Signs of childhood stress:
- Your child is not sleeping or poor sleep (sleep disorders)
- Being unusually quiet or withdrawn
- Separation anxiety or feeling anxious when alone
- Sore throat, common cold, and other immune system problems
- Changes in behaviours e.g eating more/less
Planning for Change – How you can help
Putting together a plan to tackle periods of stress is a way to help combat the challenges that come with change.
- Getting an adequate amount of sleep every night is vital and it’s recommended that teenagers sleep for 9 and a half hours a night. Screen time can affect this and removing phones and limiting time spent on devices before bed is a good idea.
- Diet can be linked to mood, as 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. A Mediterranean diet with lots of fruit, vegetables, beans, cereal products and healthy fats found in nuts, seeds, and oily fish, is thought to reduce the symptoms of heart disease and could help to alleviate low mood.
- Supplements that can be taken alongside a healthy diet are also a safe, natural and gentle way to address anxiety and low mood in children and adolescents. Saffron has been found in numerous studies to help balance mood and can be a beneficial ingredient to use in supplements to help address mood imbalance. Known for its traditional medicinal qualities, the spice has a vibrant history and has frequently been used to tackle ailments.
Saffrosun for Children from The Naked Pharmacy is made from some of the world’s best quality organic saffron and contains the highest concentration of bioactives at a strength of 3.5% of all three active components(crocin, safranal & picrocrocin) per capsule. This has been proven to have a positive impact on psychological balance and tiredness and can help your child feel rested and refreshed upon waking. The addition of key vitamins B12 and the sunshine vitamin D3 all support energy levels and vitality.
Change in young people is inevitable but with a strong plan in place plus support, you can help your child to ride the ups and downs of these formative years and help them to maintain a healthy body and mind.
If you are concerned about your child’s emotional health, please do call us on (+44) 01483 685630 to discuss your specific circumstances with our expert pharmacist.
The Naked Pharmacy is Europe’s first 100% Natural Registered Pharmacy. Their range of food supplements contains the clinically proven effective concentration of active ingredients.
Saffrosun for Children is available at www.thenakedpharmacy.com and is priced at £18.95 for 60 capsules.
Saffrosun for Children Testimonial
I was going to wait a whole month before passing judgment on Saffrosun for Children but, actually, I cannot wait that long.
The change we have witnessed in our son over the past two weeks is simply miraculous. Instead of crying and screaming in the car on the way home from school he is happy and sings Zippity Doo Dah to himself! He is patient and good-natured, expressing disappointment when disappointed rather than having a full-blown meltdown over everything. I am finally able to get to know him for the lovely little boy that he is and the level of stress for everyone in our family is so much reduced!
I’ve also noticed a big reduction in his social anxiety. He really is getting so much more out of life.
I will be forever grateful to have found this supplement – thank you for making it available for children.
With best regards,