Actor, director and producer Jude Law talks green-fingered hobbies, fatherhood and family life, his own warm and loving childhood and the perils of living in the public eye.
Getting to know Jude Law
– Named ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ in 2004 by People Magazine.
– During filming for The Talented Mr Ripley, he fell backwards during the murder scene on the boat and broke a rib. He also had to learn how to play the saxophone for his role in the film.
– Has a tattoo on his left arm featuring the words, ‘You came along to turn on everyone, Sexy Sadie’ from The Beatles’ song Sexy Sadie.
Is a keen charity supporter and takes part in many charitable activities, helping several foundations and causes, including the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Make Poverty History and Breast Cancer Care.
– In 2009, the actor threw oranges at a group of NYU students who were watching him as he exercised in his New York apartment.
– Supermodel Kate Moss is godmother to Jude’s daughter, Iris.
– When joining the National Youth Music Theatre in 1987, Jude was accidentally placed in the wrong dormitory as they thought he was a girl because of his name. Jude didn’t say anything, but he was soon caught and moved to the proper one.
– He was once roommates with actor Ewan McGregor. The pair also founded their own production company called Natural Nylon.
– Has been nominated for an Academy Award twice; once in 2000 for Best Supporting Actor in The Talented Mr Ripley and in early 2003 for Best Actor In A Leading Role for Cold Mountain.
– Jude is a lifelong fan of Tottenham Hotspur football club.
Want to read the full story? If you’re a Candis member, click to read the April issue of the magazine – and this article in full – now in our digital edition.