Kate Winslet burst into the spotlight at just 22 for her Oscar-nominated performance in the hugely successful Titanic and never looked back. Here we reveal a few more facts about the Hollywood A-lister and mum of three.
– Kate is (so far!) the youngest person to receive six Oscar nominations, and won an Oscar for Best Actress for her role in The Reader.
– She and her second husband director Sam Mendes were actually born in the same hospital.
– Once said, “There’s more to life than cheekbones.”
– Was working in a deli to support herself when she landed her first film role in Peter Jackson’s Heavenly Creatures (1994).
– Leonardo DiCaprio gave her away at her secret wedding to current husband Ned Rocknroll in 2012 with just Kate’s children, Mia and Joe, and six friends present.
– The Holiday (2006) was the first movie that Kate used her own accent and didn’t develop a special voice for her character.
– Was awarded the CBE, by Her Majesty The Queen, for her services to acting in 2012.
– When interviewed on American TV to promote The Holiday (2006) they surprised Kate by showing a clip of her in the Sugar Puff commercial – except the girl wasn’t her. But trooper Kate didn’t point it out as she did not want to embarrass the researcher or get them fired.
– Was considered for the lead role in Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) but it was decided she was too young to portray the role.