A-Lister Mark Wahlberg’s life is possibly one of the biggest turnarounds in recent tinseltown history, going from drug-addicted, troubled teenager serving time for assault to Hollywood golden boy, doting dad-of-four and husband, with the Beverly Hills house and even his own line of sports nutrition drinks.
Getting to know Mark Wahlberg
– Mark and some friends were actually booked to fly on one of the planes that crashed into the Twin Towers on 11 September 2011. At the last minute, they decided to charter a plane instead to go to a film festival in Canada.
– Dropped out of school aged 13; then received his High School Diploma 25 years later
– Named one of People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People in 1992.
– Is very close to his mother, and in 2001, bought a $5million mansion in Beverly Hills and moved his mother in.
– Mark was originally cast to play Linus Caldwell in Ocean’s Eleven, but dropped out – Matt Damon eventually played the part.
– Has a tattoo of Bob Marley on his left shoulder
– Famously said, “I’ve always looked at my career as an athlete would look at his. I won’t play forever. Some don’t know when to walk away, but the smart ones do.”
– His older sister Debbie died on the same day – 2 September 2003 – as Mark’s first child Ella Rae was born.
– While performing as rapper Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch he often wore nothing but underpants on stage. Calvin Klein consequently asked him to model for Klein’s underwear line.
– He’s a distant relative of Madonna and Celine Dion.
Want to read the full story? If you’re a Candis member, click to read the March issue of the magazine – and this article in full – now in our digital edition.