Hollywood star Pierce Brosnan tells us about the grief of losing a wife and daughter to cancer, the “blessing” of finding his second wife and the joy of being a family man.
Pierce in close up
– His stage debut was in a play by Tennessee Williams, who afterwards sent him a letter saying, “Thank God for you, my dear boy.”
– He was the fifth actor to play James Bond and his first appearance as 007 was in GoldenEye in 1995
– He first met Bond producer Cubby Broccoli on the set of For Your Eyes Only – but it was his first wife, Cassandra, who was in the film
– In separate reviews for his role in the film adaptation of Mamma Mia!, his voice was likened to a water buffalo, a donkey and a wounded raccoon
– In 1996 he formed his own production company, Irish DreamTime, and the first project was a remake of The Thomas Crown Affair, in which he starred
– After filming an episode of Remington Steele in Ireland, Pierce finally met his father again, describing him as “a man of medium stature, silver hair, flinty eyes and a twizzled jaw”
– In 2003 he was awarded an honorary OBE for his outstanding contribution to the British film industry. He also has two honorary degrees
– He took up painting again during his first wife’s illness and now raises money for charities through the sale of his artwork
– In his latest film, Love Punch, he and Emma Thompson play a divorced couple who attempt a diamond heist to recover their stolen retirement money. The British comedy also stars Celia Imrie and Timothy Spall
Want to read the full article? Find out the full story? If you’re a Candis member click to read the December issue of the magazine – and this article in full – now in our digital edition.