Apple rice pudding with roasted apples and toffee sauce
For the apples
4 Kanzi apples, peeled, core removed and cut into 8 wedges
1tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cardamom pod
1 vanilla pod, split
Zest and juice of 2 orange
For the rice pudding
90g pudding rice
50g caster sugar
1 litre semi skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
a grating of nutmeg
- Pre heat the oven to 170oc
- To cook the apples, place them in an oven proof dish along with the butter, brown sugar, spices, vanilla pod, orange juice and zest. Toss everything together then place it into the oven for 20-30 minutes until the apples are tender.
- Now make the rice pudding. Heat the butter in pan and add the rice. Stir, coating all the grains of rice in the butter.
- Add the sugar, milk, vanilla and a grating of nutmeg. Bring everything up to a simmer and cook gently, stirring occasionally for 30-35 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- When the apples are soft, take half of them and place in a blender. Blend into a fine puree, then stir it through the rice pudding.
- Serve the apple rice with the roasted apple wedges and a little of the cooking syrup.