Asian-Style Beef Noodles
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp soft brown sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp Schezuan or oyster sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp hoisin sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp soy sauce
- 125ml/4floz water
- 250g/9oz rice noodles
- 30ml/2tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp cornflour
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sweet sherry
- Shredded spring onions, to garnish
1. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, sauces and water. Cover and set aside.
2. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and toss in half the oil.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick wok or shallow frying pan. Add the ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the beef and stir-fry for 5-10 minutes until brown. Add the Chinese five-spice powder, sauces and stir-fry for a further 5-10 minutes. Season.
4. Mix together the cornflour and the sherry, add to the wok or pan and stir gently.
5. Serve on a bed of rice noodles garnished with the shredded spring onions.