Asparagus, goats cheese and caramelised onion puffs
British Asparagus is renowned as the best Asparagus in the world. Asparagus is traditional eaten with melted butter so instead we have taken this one step further and made this quick and easy recipe with Jus-Rol™ All-Butter Puff pastry to give the recipe an extra special touch. If you can’t find All-Butter Puff Pastry you can use Jus-Rol™ Puff Pastry instead. It’s excellent as a light supper or lunch dish.
500g Jus-Rol™ Frozen All-Butter Puff Pastry Block thawed or Jus-Rol™ Frozen Puff Pastry Block thawed
250g Asparagus Bundle
2 Individual Goats Cheese (100-120g each) (sometimes called a Crottin)
2 Medium Sized Onions
50g Butter Unsalted
25g Caster Sugar
Beaten Egg to Glaze
Preheat Oven to 220ºC, (200ºC for fan assisted), 425ºF, Gas Mark 7.
- Finely slice the onions. Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently sauté onion slices until transparent. Stir in caster sugar, raise the heat and cook until onions are golden brown. Allow them to cool.
- Roll out pastry to a rectangle approx 36cm x 28cm. Trim edges then cut out into 4 rectangles (each will be approx 18cm x 14cm). Knock up edges of pastry to help give a good rise.
- Place pastry on lined baking sheet and lightly score a border on each rectangle approx 2-3cm in from the pastry edge (ensure you don’t slice through pastry).
- Divide cooled onion between pastry rectangles and place within the border.
- Slice each Goats cheese horizontally into 6 slices giving a total of 12 slices. Then half each slice and scatter over the onions again within the border.
- Trim or snap off the hardened ends of the asparagus then lay 3-4 spears along the length of the rectangle.
- Lightly brush asparagus with olive oil.
- Brush borders of pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until pastry is risen and golden brown.
- Eat warm with friends and family!!