Aunt Bessie’s stuffed mushrooms
8 large flat mushrooms
2 shallots, finely chopped
2tbsp cranberries, chopped and soaked in a little boiling water
2tbsp toasted pine nuts
The leaves from 2 thyme sprigs
125g soft goat’s cheese
Salt and black pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling
Serve with: Aunt Bessie’s Homestyle Mashed Potato, Aunt Bessie’s Irresistible Yorkshires, gravy made with Aunt Bessie’s onion gravy granules
200g sprouting broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan oven/gas mark 6.
- Pull the stalks off the mushrooms and chop finely. Put in a pan with the shallots and the butter. Heat gently until the butter has melted, then cook for about 5 minutes until the shallots have softened. Tip into a bowl to cool.
- Drain the cranberries then add to the bowl with the pine nuts, thyme leaves and breadcrumbs. Roughly crumble in the goat’s cheese, season with the salt and black pepper, and mix everything together.
- Put the mushrooms on a baking sheet and drizzle over a little olive oil. Spoon the stuffing mixture evenly among the mushrooms. Season again and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Cook the Aunt Bessie’s mashed potato and Yorkshire puddings according to packet instructions. Make up the gravy in a jug. Steam the broccoli in a pan with a little water.
- Serve the mushrooms on top of a spoonful of mash with the Yorkshire puddings and broccoli. Swirl the gravy around the edge and into the Yorkshire and serve.