Bacon, gruyere and mushroom melt
Serves: Makes 2 open sandwiches
Cooking time: About 10 minutes
4 smoked maple cured back bacon rashers
4 slices thickly cut crusty white bread
5mlsp (1tsp) olive oil
1 large mushroom, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
100g (4oz) Gruyere or Emmental cheese, grated
Knob of butter
- Preheat the grill.
- Place the rashers under the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly cooked.
- Heat oil and butter in a small pan. Add the mushroom slices and garlic and cook lightly for 2-3 minutes, set to one side.
- Toast the bread slices on one side.
- To construct the sandwich: Top the non-toasted side of bread firstly with mushrooms, then a bacon rasher and scatter with cheese. For the lid of the sandwich scatter the non-toasted side with cheese. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Place all 4 slices under hot grill and cook until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve the ‘loaded’ slices topped with the cheesy lids.
- Serve with a heap of mixed green salad leaves.