Baked Asparagus Cheese
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 starters or 2 main course
20 Asparagus spears, peeled if required, but trimmed
50g butter, plus extra for greasing
50g plain flour
2 free-range egg yolks
1 tsp English mustard
splash of Worcestershire sauce
salt and black pepper
175g Davidstow “Classic” cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the asparagus and cook for one minutes. Drain and cool the Asparagus in some cold water.
- When the asparagus are cold, drain and place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the flour. Cook, stirring for one to two minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, stir and simmer for two to three minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the Asparagus. Top with the grated cheese. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.