Baked eggs and peppers
This one-pan dish is perfect for a rainy-day family meal
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
50g feta cheese
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook gently for about 10 minutes until softened.
2. Add the peppers and chilli, cover the pan and cook for another 10 minutes until the peppers are tender.
3. Add the garlic and spices and fry for a few minutes while stirring. Then tip in the tomatoes, mix well and cover.
4. Cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Season the sauce well.
5. Using the back of a wooden spoon make four indentations in the pepper sauce. Break an egg into each one. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes until the eggs are set. You can alternatively scramble the eggs through the sauce.
6. Sprinkle the eggs with crumbled feta, pine nuts and coriander, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve straight from the pan with warm pitta bread.
The autumn 2015 edition of the Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine is available now from lizearlewellbeing.com. Subscribe to the digital edition for £10 or the printed edition for £19.96 per year for 4 issues, p+p free.