Beef Casserole with Vegetables
This is the perfect dish to keep you warm this winter!
Serves:3 – 4 people
You will need:
500g Braising Beef
1 x medium onion
3 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots
330mls stock (beef or chicken)
2 tsp tomato puree (sun-dried is best)
3 cloves of chopped garlic
6 black peppercorns
a bouquet of fresh thyme and bay leaves
red wine (quantity varies with the shape of your dish)
olive oil to fry
1. Use a pan with a heavy base and a lid.
2. Peel and chop the onion. Place the pan over a medium heat, add the oil and the onion and fry gently until soft.
3. Meanwhile trim away the coarse green top of the leek, clean and slice the remaining white part into medallions, about ½ inch thick.
4. Peel the carrots and cut like the leek.
5. Peel the potatoes and cut into 6 even sized pieces.
6. Remove the cooked onion from the pan and set aside.
7. Add some more oil, turn up the heat and brown the beef in 3 or 4 batches. Once you have completed this stage, add the stock to the pan and allow to bubble up, stirring to incorporate any bits that have adhered to surfaces.
8. Stir in the tomato puree and add the meat, onion, vegetables, garlic, peppercorns and cloves.
9. Season with salt, give a good stir and add enough red wine to just cover the meat.
10. You will find that the potatoes float to the top. These do not need to be completely submerged, they will cook fine as long as they are in contact with the liquid.
11. Finally bury the bouquet of thyme and bay leaves in the centre, cover with a well fitting lid and lower the heat.
It should just bubble gently along for about 2 hours, until the meat is tender.