Beef chow mein
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- ½ tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 250g (9oz) Chinese egg noodles
- 300g (10½oz) sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into strips
- 50ml (2floz) chicken stock
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fresh root ginger, in thin strips
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 salad onions, finely chopped
- 100g shiitake (3½oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 125g (4½oz) pak choi
- 1 Mix together the clear honey, ½ tsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine and 1 tsp cornflour. Use this to marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes. Cook the noodles in boiling water for 20 seconds, stirring. Drain and moisten with the remaining ½ tsp sesame oil.
- 2 Mix the remaining sauces, rice wine and cornflour with the stock and white pepper; set aside. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a flat-bottomed wok. Add the noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes until the underside is golden. Flip the noodle ‘cake’ over and cook for about 3 minutes, until pale gold. Place on a warm plate.
- 3 Add 1 tbsp oil to the wok, heat until just smoking and add the steak. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then tip out onto a plate with any juices.
- 4 Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil; add the ginger, garlic and salad onions; after 30 seconds, add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the pak choi, stir-frying until wilted. Throw in the reserved sauce mixture, bring to the boil, and return the steak to the pan. Tip over the noodles and serve.
Recipe and image courtesy of waitrose.com