Cherrie & Apple Cake
A lovely cake for afternoon tea, a picnic, or served warm for pudding.
125g Dorset Cereals berries & cherries muesli
25g unsalted butter
1 large apple, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges
175g unsalted butter, softened
150g caster sugar and a little more for sprinkling
3 large free range eggs, beaten
220g plain flour, sieved
2 tsp baking powder, sieved
140g Rachel’s Pouring natural with a hint of strawberry yogurt
150g raspberries, cherries or blackberries
Pre-heat oven to 170°c/gas mark 3
Makes 1 cake
Serves 6-8 people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1. Line and grease a 20cm round cake tin.
2. Start by making the muesli crumble, melt the butter then mix in the muesli, stir well and leave on one side to cool.
3. In a shallow frying pan take 25g of butter and 1 tbsp of caster sugar melt and add the apple wedges. Cook until soft and caramelised.
4. Beat together in a bowl the remaining butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs and fold in the flour and baking powder. Add the yogurt being carefully not to over-beat. Mix till smooth.
5. Spoon enough cake mixture into the tin to cover the base then scatter a quarter of the muesli crumble and a third of the apple and berries. Repeat twice more. Finish with the remainder of the muesli crumble and sprinkle with caster sugar.
6. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until well risen and golden. Tip: to prevent the cake from burning place a piece of greaseproof paper over the top.
7. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Serve when still warm.
Cake will keep in an airtight tin for a week.
Try: Frozen berries, they work really well. Delicious served warm with lashings of custard!
- Bowl or Food processor
- Wooden spoon
- Shallow frying pan & 20cm round cake tin