Berry & Cherry Mess with Raspberry Coulis
You will need knickerbockerglory glasses for this recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
200g caster sugar – (alternatively use 6 shop bought meringue nests)
For the coulis:
50g icing sugar
568ml double cream, lightly whipped
500g mixed summer berries (strawberries, raspberries, currants, tayberry etc)
200g English cherries, stoned
1. Heat the oven to 130°C.
2. Grease and line a baking tray with parchment.
3. Place the egg whites in a large bowl, whisk with beaters until foaming and then add the sugar gradually. Keep whisking until the mixture is very white and shiny and holds its shape (try the bowl upside down test).
4. Spread the egg whites on the tray and bake for 11/2 hours or until the meringue lifts off the tray easily and allow to cool.
5. Make the coulis by mashing the raspberries and then adding the sugar and pass through a sieve to remove the pips.
6. Prepare all the berries and keep in a separate bowl.
7. Arrange the “mess” by starting with berries at the bottom, then crushed meringue then cream then coulis. Repeat and finish with a few berries on top.