Black Pudding & Pear Pies
Serve your family something a bit different
400g pork mince
200g black pudding, chopped
1 large diced pear
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
For the pastry:
450g plain flour
1 free-range egg yolk, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Use imperial measurements.
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2) For the filling, mix all ingredients together and season well. Then divide into four 150g portions.
3) For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
4) In a pan, heat the water and lard together and gradually bring to a simmer, or until all the lard has melted. Bring the mixture up the boil and then pour this onto the flour mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon to create a firm dough.
5) Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead the dough quickly for a few minutes. Roll the dough out flat, take one of the pie portions and place on the pastry. Cut around the portion leaving enough room for you to fold the pastry around the mix creating a parcel. Repeat this with the remaining portions.
6) Roll out the remaining pastry then stamp out with pastry cutters 4 mini circles for the lids. Brush the lids with beaten egg yolk, then place the pastry on top of the pies and press down to seal. Cut a small hole in the top of each pastry lid and transfer into the oven for 35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown and the meat is completely cooked through.
7) Remove from the oven and allow to cool.