Brazilian Style Fish Stew
Brazilians enjoy many versions of this stew from different areas of their country. This recipe is an adaptation using store cupboard and frozen ingredients to create a special stew with the taste and colour of Brazil.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 15ml olive oil
- 325g frozen chopped onions
- 250g frozen sliced mixed peppers
- 30ml frozen chopped red jalapeño chillies
- 15ml frozen chopped garlic
- 1 cube frozen crushed ginger
- 400ml can chopped tomatoes
- 5ml ground cumin, or to taste
- 400g pack frozen fish pie mix
- 235g frozen large raw prawns
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Ground black pepper
- 15-30ml frozen chopped coriander
1. Using the oil in a large heavy gauge saucepan or flameproof dish, fry the onion for 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the peppers, chillies, garlic and ginger, cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, cumin and 200ml water, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are almost tender.
4. Add the fish pie mix, prawns and coconut milk, return to the boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, re-cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until the fish and prawns are just tender.
5. Remove from the heat, season to taste and sprinkle with coriander.
6. Serve in bowls with cooked frozen rice.