Rich, sticky caramelised onions
Nearly everything tastes better with some sweet, sticky caramelised onions. They’re so easy to prepare – all you need is a little patience!
1. Peel and half 3 large onions and cut into slices
2. Heat 3 tbsp oil, or 1 tbsp butter and 2 of oil, in a large frying pan
3. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally
4. Allow the onions to brown slowly, stirring just often enough to scrape any residue off the bottom of the pan. This may take half an hour or even more!
5. When the onions are a rich, deep, sticky brown, add 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and stir in well.
6. Dollop on top of your sausages or burgers, and enjoy!
The ultimate burger sauce
1. Blend together 2 medium pickled gherkins, 2 tsp caramelised onion jam, 1 tbsp hotdog mustard, 1 tsp paprika, 1 ½ tsp garlic powder and 2 tbsp mayonnaise until smooth.
2. Stir in 2-4 tsp white wine vinegar to taste.
3. Spoon onto your burger, serving in a toasted bun, with lettuce, sliced tomato, onion and gherkins and an optional slice of cheese.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.donaldrussell.com