Caramel Swirl Chocolate Brownies
These rich and decadent brownies will have everyone asking you for the recipe!
Makes 12 squares
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
115g (4oz) butter
175g (6oz) dark continental chocolate
2 eggs, beaten
175g (6oz) soft brown sugar
55g (2oz) plain flour
1tsp baking powder
55g (2oz) ground almonds
55g (2oz) walnut pieces
6tbsp Carnation Caramel, plus extra to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, 350º F, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line an 20cm (8″) square baking tin.
2. Melt the butter with 55g (2oz) of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water.
3. Beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl, then sift in the flour, and baking powder. Add the ground almonds and stir in the melted chocolate mixture, and beat together until well blended.
4. Chop the remaining chocolate into rough chunks and stir into the brownie mixture, with the walnuts. Spoon into the tin and spread evenly. Swirl the caramel into the mix and bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake begins to shrink slightly from the sides of the tin and the centre is only just firm.
5. When cool cut the brownie into squares
Tip: Serve with a small dollop of ice cream, a little more caramel and an espresso for the perfect way to finish a meal.