Carrot and Walnut Bread
Very easy and satisfying to make. Delicious with cheese or simply with a knob of butter.
7g or 1tbsp dried yeast/20g of fresh yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
300g Rachel’s Pouring natural yogurt (warm)
400g organic strong white bread flour
1 tsp salt
100g Dorset Cereals fruit, nuts & seeds muesli
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
50g walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Pre-heat oven to 220°c/gas mark 7
Makes: 1 1.5kg loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours proving
Cooking time: 40 minutes
This bread can also be made in a bread maker
1. Mix the yeast and sugar in a bowl and add the yogurt, set aside for 10 minutes. Tip: heat the yogurt gently in a microwave or over a pan of boiling water.
2. Take the flour, salt, muesli, carrot and walnuts place in a mixing bowl or food processor and make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast mixture and then add the oil. Mix until a dough is formed. If the mixture is a little dry add a touch more yogurt or a little water.
3.Transfer to a floured surface and knead. Place the dough back into the bowl and leave in a warm dry place covered with a damp tea towel or oiled cling-film for approximately 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile grease and base line a 1.5kg loaf tin or simply oil a baking tray.
5. Take the dough, knock back by kneading, ensure the dough is smooth and place in the prepared tin or mould onto the prepared tray. Leave in a warm place once more until double in size again.
6. Bake the bread until golden. Tip: bread is cooked when the bottom sounds hollow.
7. Remove the bread from the tin and place on a wire rack.
Try: As accompaniment with a bowl of soup or with some blue veined cheese.
Equipment needed: Bowl or food processor (with dough hook),
1.5kg loaf tin or baking tray, Pastry brush, Cooling wire