Chargrilled Prawns With Citrus Aioli
Chargrilled Prawns With Citrus Aioli Served on Nairn’s OatcakesAs an elegant canapé or healthy and nutritious lunch this delicious combination is a perfect topping for Nairn’s Oatcakes. The aioli can be prepared in advance and kept chilled for 2-3 days while the prawns can be marinated in advance and cooked when needed. Including flaxseed oil in the aioli is a simple way to sneak in some healthy essential omega 3 fats too. Serve the prawns hot or cold. This would also make a wonderful starter to a dinner party, or teamed with Nairn’s Mini Oatcakes for a colourful party platter.
Suitable for: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Marinade time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1 garlic clove, crushed
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
Grated zest of 1 lemon
½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped
2tsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1 tbsp olive oil
12 large raw prawns (peeled and deveined)
3 egg yolks
1 garlic clove, crushed
Zest of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lime
3tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of sea salt
100ml / 3 ½ floz light olive oil
100ml / 3 ½ floz flaxseed oil
To serve: Handful of rocket leaves
12 Nairn’s fine milled oatcakes or gluten free oatcakes to serve
- For the marinade mix together all the ingredients and pour over the prawns. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the citrus aioli. Place the egg yolks, garlic, lemon and lime zest, xylitol, lemon juice and sea salt in a food processor and beat until smooth. Season with a little black pepper. With the machine running slowly drizzle in the oils. Keep blending to form a thick, creamy mayonnaise. Store in the fridge until needed.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle pan until hot. Remove the prawns from the marinade and place on the griddle pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side until golden then turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes until cooked through.
- To serve spoon a little aioli on each oatcake, top with a couple of rocket leaves and a prawn.
Nutritional Information per oatcake with 1tbsp aioli
- Calories: 89kcal
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 9.8g of which sugars 0.5g
- Total Fat: 4g of which saturates 1.1g
Nutritional Information per 100g
- Calories: 345kcal
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrates 37.8g of which sugars 2g
- Total Fat: 17.3g of which saturates 4.4g