Charred Orange Sorbet with Warm Rum Sauce and Spiced Cookie Bars
This restaurant-inspired dessert combines crisp and creamy textures, warm and icy temperatures and the distinctive flavours of black rum, charred oranges and aromatic allspice.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus freeze overnight
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Charred Orange Sorbet:
175g (6oz) granulated sugar
300ml (½ pint) orange juice
225ml (8fl oz) coconut milk
125ml (4fl oz) single cream
Spiced Cookie Bars:
175g (6oz) flour
1 tsp Schwartz Allspice Ground
100g (4oz) butter, softened
50g (2oz) firmly packed brown sugar
50g (2oz) granulated sugar
2 tbs black rum
1 Schwartz Vanilla Pod
3 tbs butter, divided
4 oranges, peeled and segmented
75g (3oz) granulated sugar
75ml (3fl oz) orange juice
2 tbs black rum
1. Pre-heat the grill to high. For the Charred Orange Sorbet grate peel from orange then set aside. Remove white pith from orange, then cut orange crosswise into 6 slices. Place on foil-lined baking pan, sprinkle with 2 tbs of the sugar. Grill 10-15cm from heat for 7-8 minutes or until lightly charred. Allow oranges to cool then coarsely chop.
2. Place remaining sugar and reserved grated peel in blender, cover then blend on a high speed until peel is very finely chopped. Add orange juice, coconut milk and cream. Blend until sugar is dissolved then pour into a medium bowl. Stir in chopped orange.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until well chilled. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
4. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5. For the Spiced Cookie Bars, mix flour and Allspice in medium bowl then set aside. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, rum and the seeds from the Vanilla Pod, mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed, until well mixed. Spread in greased foil-lined 20cm (8 inch) square baking pan.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack then cut into 4 squares. Cut each square crosswise into 4 triangles.
6. For the Rum Sauce, melt 2 tbs of the butter in large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Place orange segments in pan. Sprinkle sugar around oranges and cook for 10 minutes, or until sugar begins to caramelize, gently stirring. Remove from heat. Add orange juice and rum, cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, then stir in remaining 1 tbs butter until melted. Serve Spiced Cookie Bar with a small scoop of Charred Orange Sorbet and drizzle with warm Rum Sauce.