Cheese and potato parcels
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
200g (7oz) sweet potato, peeled, sliced and parboiled
200g (7oz) King Edward potato, peeled, sliced and parboiled
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
250g (9oz) ricotta
250g (9oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
200g (7oz) Greek Style natural set yoghurt
100g (4oz) onion marmalade
Salt and pepper
500g (18oz) ready-made short crust pastry
1 egg wash – beaten egg plus 1 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/R6 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Parboil the potato slices until tender, drain and cool on one side.
- In a frying pan cook the onion in the olive oil until soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooled potato, ricotta, cheese, yoghurt, onion marmalade and egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Take a pastry block and on a floured surface roll out to a rectangle 2cm (1in) thick.
- Cut into 6 large even squares 12cm (4½in). Take a large dessert spoonful of the potato mixture and place in the centre. Brush water around the edges of the pastry with a pastry brush, this will help seal the pastry together. Take each corner of the pastry and bring it to the middle – pinching at the top to seal each point.
- Brush with egg wash completely all around and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm straight out the oven or cool and enjoy for lunch or a picnic.
Recipe and image courtesy of Rachel’s