Stilton cheese and celery pasties
These delicious pasties are wonderful packed up and eaten ‘al fresco’ as a Bonfire Night warmer.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp English mustard powder
200g Stilton cheese, crumbled
4 sticks Fenland celery, diced
450g ready-made puff pastry
1 free-range egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/R6. Grease and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
2. Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to mash. Mash them until smooth, then add the mustard powder, crumbled Stilton and diced celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Roll the pastry out on to a well-floured board and stamp out circles with a saucer or small plate, to about 13cms in diameter.
4. Spoon some of the filling mixture over one half of the pastry, moisten the edges then fold the pastry over to form a crescent and seal by crimping around the edges with your fingers or a fork.
5. Place the pasties on the baking sheet, cut a slit to allow the steam to escape and brush them all over with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.
6. Remove the pasties from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving warm, or cold. Can be frozen before baking.
Recipe and image courtesy of fenlandcelery.com