Chestnut, mushroom & shallot pie
This pie is a fantastic vegetarian alternative to the classic Christmas lunch.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes – 1hour
200g cooked chestnuts (such as Merchant Gourmet vacuum packed)
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary
200ml red wine
300ml vegetable stock
1tbsp olive oil
12 shallots, peeled & left whole
250g chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 tbsp Beurre Manie (1 tbsp flour mixed to a paste with 1 tbsp softened butter)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
225g puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the olive oil to stop it burning and fry the onions until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bay leaves and rosemary and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts, red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the beurre manie, stirring constantly until is dissolves, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Stir in the mustard and flat leaf parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling, crimping the edges to seal the pie. Cut a cross in the top of the pastry to let the steam out during cooking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.