Chicken and leek patchwork pie
This pie looks fantastic and tastes great too
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
olive oil spray
500g leeks, sliced
400g chicken breast chunks
250ml chicken stock
250ml skimmed milk, plus extra for brushing
2 tbsp thickening sauce flour
300g frozen peas
300g frozen broccoli florets, defrosted slightly and cut into smaller pieces
30g reduced-fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
160g puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/R6. Spray a large saucepan with oil and cook the leeks and chicken for 5 minutes until the leeks are softened and the chicken is golden.
2. Add the stock and milk, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through with no pink bits. Add the sauce flour to the pan, bring to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring until smooth and thickened.
3. Stir in the peas, broccoli and soft cheese then tip into an ovenproof pie dish. Sit the dish on a baking sheet.
4. Cut the pastry into 12 squares and arrange on top of the filling – the pastry should overlap a little in places but not cover the filling completely.
5. Brush the pastry squares with milk and bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot.
Recipes and Images courtesy of waitrose.com