Chicken with a Fruit Curry Sauce and Coconut Basmati Rice
Ingredients for the Chicken:
2 free range chicken breasts
1 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper
50g/ 2 oz salted butter
1 tsp sunflower oil
For the Coconut Basmati:
125g (4oz) Tilda Pure Basmati
150ml (1/4 pint) coconut milk
For the Coconut Basmati sauce:
50g/ 2oz butter
½ small onion, fiunely chopped
2 pineapple rings, drained and diced
1 small banana, cubed
1 firm apple, peeled and diced
2 tbsp medium curry powder
1tsp tbsp desiccated coconut
75ml/ 3floz chicken stock
75ml/ 3floz coconut milk
Salt and black pepper
50g/ 2oz sultanas
1. For the chicken breast into large chunks. Lightly flour and season the chicken chunks.
2. Heat half the butter and oil in a pan and cook the chicken until; golden brown, this should take about 10-12 minutes.
3. For the curry sauce: Melt half the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion, pineapple, banana and half the apple. Add the curry powder, desiccated coconut, coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Pass through a sieve to form a smooth glossy sauce.
4. Melt the remaining butter and gently cook the apples and sultanas for 5 minutes just until softened. Add to the smooth curry sauce.
5. For the coconut rice: Rinse the rice in cold water. Place into a pan and just cover with cold water. Add the coconut milk and boil for 10 minutes or until the rice is just cooked. Drain.
6. Spoon the rice onto a plate topped with the chicken and with a drizzle of sauce. Serve with a tomato and red onion salad.
1. You can partially cook the rice in boiling water for 3 minutes and refresh in cold water and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Bring it back to the boil in just coconut milk and a pinch of salt.
2. Your left over coconut rice will overcook as it cools down. Add a spoon of sugar and it makes a great accompaniment served cold with baked mango or pineapple.