Chicken in a Creamy Apple and White Wine Sauce
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 30 minutes
175g carrots, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 Royal Gala apple, cored, skin left on and finely diced
100ml dry white wine
200ml chicken stock
4 tbsp créme fraíche
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1. Blanch the diced carrots in a small pan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken breasts over a fairly high heat until golden brown on both sides. Lower the heat and continue to fry the chicken for 10 minutes or until it is cooked through. Drain from the pan and keep warm.
3. Add the butter to the pan and fry the diced apple for 2 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Add the carrots, cook for 1 minute and then pour in the wine.
4. Bubble for 30 seconds before adding the stock and bringing to the boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stir in the créme fraíche and mustard and season with black pepper. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes so the sauce reduces and thickens a little.
5. Carve the chicken breasts into thick slices, arrange on serving plates and spoon over the sauce.
The SuperValu range is stocked in Budgens stores which are owned and operated by independent retailers. To find your nearest store visit www.budgens.co.uk