Chicken with oat, sage & apricot stuffing balls
Try replacing the apricots in the stuffing with dates or died apple and toasted pine nuts.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs, scored (1.5kg)
15g pack sage
150g dried apricots
1 large onion, chopped (250g)
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken skin side down for 3-4 minutes until golden, transfer to a roasting tin. Place a whole sage leaf over each chicken thigh. Reserve 8 whole apricots.
3. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden. Chop the remaining sage and apricots and add to the onions with the oats and breadcrumbs, season and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in 6 tbsp water. Mould into 4 large stuffing balls and add to the roasting tin.
4. Roast for 25-30 minutes, placing the reserved apricots on top of the chicken thighs half way through.
5. Serve with freshly steamed vegetable and roast potatoes.