Chilli Sausage Pie
Sausage and mash with a twist. Lean sausages in a hot, spicy onion and mushroom sauce topped with apple mash.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 700g frozen mashed potato
- 150g frozen British Bramley apple slices
- 350g frozen chopped onions
- Olive oil spray
- 225g frozen sliced mushrooms
- 5ml hot chilli powder (or to taste)
- 30ml plain flour
- 5ml frozen chopped red jalapeño chillies
- 420ml chicken stock
- 50 – 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 454g frozen low fat pork sausage
1. Grill the sausages as directed and cut into bite-sized pieces, keep hot.
2. Heat the mashed potato as directed, keep hot. Place the apple slices in a microwave dish with a vented lid and cook on FULL power (850 watt) for 3 – 4 minutes until tender. Chop into smaller pieces, and stir into the mashed potato.
3. Using a medium sized saucepan, sauté the onion in the spray oil for 3 – 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and chilli powder, continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the flour, jalapeño chillies and stock. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon in the hot sausage pieces and transfer to a greased 1.5 litre flameproof dish.
6. Top the sausage mixture with the apple mash and cheese. Place under a grill pre heated to a high heat for 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately with a selection of cooked frozen vegetables.
Sauté the apple slices, if preferred over a moderate heat until tender