Chocolate Orange Trifle
Oven Temperature: 160c(fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes.
Chocolate Orange Cake:
90g butter, softened
165g caster sugar
Zest of 1 large orange
2 eggs, large
40g self raising flour
120g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
15ml vinegar (malt or white wine)
2 x 135g packets of orange jelly
500ml ready made custard
100g dark chocolate, chopped
300ml double cream
2 tbsps icing sugar
20g grated dark chocolate
1 x 298g tin of Mandarin segments, drained
- Make the cake for the base. Preheat the oven to 160c(fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of an 8” cake tin.
- Measure the milk into a jug and add the vinegar. Stir and set to one side.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Sift over the plain and self raising flours, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder and fold into the mixture using a spatula.
- Add the milk mixture, again stirring well to combine.
- Place the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer, when inserted, comes away clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix up the orange jelly according to the instructions on the packet. Add half the jelly to the trifle dish and transfer to the fridge to set.
- Split the cake into two thin layers. Add one layer to the dish and then gently ladle in the remaining jelly mixture. Set in the fridge.
- Once set add in the remaining cake layer.
- Place the custard in a pan along with the chopped dark chocolate. Heat very gently stirring frequently until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is even. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the cooled custard to the trifle.
- Softly whip 300ml double cream with 2 tbsps icing sugar and add to the trifle to create the final layer.
- Decorate the top with mandarin segments and grated chocolate
Large trifle dish, 8” deep sided cake tin, large mixing bowl, jug, zester, spatula, electric hand mixer, grater, sieve.