Apple and pear crumble cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
For the cake:
½ x 385g (13oz) can sliced apples, drained
½ x 410g (14oz) can pear quarters, drained
180g (6oz) caster sugar
180g (6oz) butter
150g (5oz) self raising flour
50g (2oz) ground almonds
1-2 tbsp milk
For the crumble:
60g (2.5oz) caster sugar
100g (3.5oz) butter
125g (4.5oz) self raising flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven 180C/ R4.
2. Grease and line the base of a 23cm round, deep cake tin.
3. Cut the apples and pears into slices and toss with ½ the cinnamon and set aside.
1. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the remaining cinnamon and sugar; mix well and set aside.
1. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the cake tin, place fruit slices on the top and sprinkle with the crumble mixture.
4. Bake for 50-55 minutes in the middle of the oven until firm and golden.
5. Cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
How to serve:
Serve warm, or cold with a generous helping of creamy custard.