Classic nut roast
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Rest time: 10 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
250g (9oz) closed cup mushrooms, chopped
150g (5oz) walnut halves, chopped, plus an extra 50g left whole
150g (5oz) shelled pistachios, chopped, plus an extra 50g left whole
100g (31/2oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
50g (2oz) toasted sunflower seeds
50g (20z) toasted pumpkin seeds
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 medium egg, beaten
1 tbsp soy sauce
75g (3oz) extra-mature Cheddar, grated
20g (3/4oz) butter
Chopped fresh curly parsley, to garnish
For the veggie gravy
20g (3/4oz) butter
20g (3/4oz) plain flour
1 tsp yeast extract
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
400ml (14floz) vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/R4. Grease a 1.5 litre loaf tin and line the base with a strip of greaseproof paper. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook gently for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Mix together the mushroom mixture, chopped nuts, breadcrumbs, seeds, thyme, egg, soy sauce and cheese until combined. Season.
- Tip into the loaf tin, pressing down firmly. Roast for 35 minutes, or until the loaf is set. Rest for 10 minutes while you make the gravy.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is thick and smells biscuity. Stir in the yeast extract and redcurrant jelly. Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetable stock. Return the pan to the hob and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes until you have a smooth and velvety gravy. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Turn the nut loaf out onto a serving plate. Toss the whole nuts in a frying pan over a low heat for 1-2 minutes then stir in the butter until melted. Scatter the nuts over the top of the loaf, and garnish with parsley. Serve sliced with the gravy and your choice of roasted veg.
Recipe and image courtesy of Roast Recipe Collection by Sainsbury’s (£5)