Coq au Vin Blanc with Parsley Crush
A lovely warming dish that is sure to please the whole family!
600ml/1pt dry white wine
1.6kg/3 ½lb chicken in 8 pieces
1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
2 sticks celery chopped
Flat leaf parsley stalks (reserve leaves for crush)
2 tbsp seasoned flour
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 thick sliced ham, diced
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 sticks celery, sliced across
100ml/4fl oz chicken stock
175g button mushrooms, wiped and sliced
10 drops Tabasco® Pepper Sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
450g/1lb new potatoes
25g unsalted butter
1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1.Pour the dry white wine into a bowl and add chicken pieces, roughly chopped onion, chopped celery and parsley stalks. Leave to marinate for an hour.
2. Remove chicken pieces and blot on kitchen paper. Place the wine and chicken stock marinade aside.
3. Dip chicken pieces in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry chicken pieces until brown all over. Transfer to a flameproof casserole dish.
5. Add ham to the pan and fry until brown, then add finely chopped onion, crushed garlic and sliced celery and toss around to soften. Transfer all to casserole dish. Pour over the wine and chicken stock marinade and bring to bubbling. Turn down to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.
6. Add button mushrooms to the casserole dish and Tabasco® Pepper Sauce. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes with the lid half on until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced.
7. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. For the Crush, cook new potatoes in lightly salted boiling water. Drain, then roughly mash with butter. Stir in parsley and season. Serve with chicken.