Courgette and salad onion muffins
These can be made ahead of time and frozen
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 150g (5oz) self raising flour
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g (5oz) mature Cheddar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 200ml (7floz) whole milk
- 150g (5oz) courgettes, grated
- 3 salad onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/R4. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and line with squares of greaseproof paper, overlapping the edges slightly (or use large muffin cases).
2. Sieve the two flours and the baking powder into a large bowl. Add the Cheddar and seasoning.
3. Beat the eggs and milk together until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently and thoroughly until well combined. Lightly stir in the courgettes and salad onions.
4. Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and cook for about 20 minutes, until the muffins are risen and golden, and are firm but springy to the touch. Leave to cool. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days or made in advance and kept in the freezer for two months.
Recipe and image courtesy of waitrose.com