Crab and Parmesan tart
Preparation time: 40 minutes plus chilling
Cooking time: 20 minutes
375g (13oz) pack ready-rolled short crust pastry
100g (3.5 oz) watercress, stems removed and finely chopped
250g (9oz) mixed crabmeat, fresh or defrosted
110g (4oz) Rodda’s Cornish Clotted Cream
110g (4oz) Rodda’s Cornish crème fraiche
¼tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp lemon juice
100g (3.5Floz) freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ R6 and very lightly grease a 22cm loose bottom flan tin. Place the tin on to a baking tray.
2. Roll out the pastry until it’s big enough to generously fit the tin. Ease the pastry into the corners of the dish, leaving excess pastry falling over the sides – don’t trim at this stage. Prick the base with a fork.
3. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Trim the excess pastry using a sharp knife.
4. Bake the pastry case blind for about 15 minutes – remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Sprinkle the watercress on the bottom of the pastry case. Top with the crabmeat make in sure it is evenly distributed.
6. Whisk together the eggs and the clotted cream, crème fraiche, chilli flakes and lemon juice and half the Parmesan cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the case. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling feels firm in the centre. Allow the tart to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image courtesy of Rodda’s Cornish Clotted Cream.