Crabmeat and Broad Bean Salad with Pink Grapefruit and Mint
This tower of crab and beans looks really impressive and is so easy to put together. The flavours of fresh mint and chilli work perfectly with the crabmeat.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
200g fresh white crabmeat
100g broad beans
1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
200g wild rocket (for serving)
Mint leaves for garnish
For the dressing;
4tbsp pink grapefruit juice (reserve juice when segmenting)
1tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1tbsp rice wine vinegar
1tsp fish sauce
1tbsp granular Canderel Yellow
2 sprigs tarragon, leaves finely chopped
Few springs mint, leaves only, finely chopped
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, grated
YOU WILL NEED X 2 TALL METAL CHEFS RINGS
1. First make the dressing; add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
2. Add the broad beans to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for about 3-4 minutes then drain and refresh with cold water. Leave to cool in cold water then drain and peel. Put to one side.
3. Add the crabmeat to a bowl and break it up with a fork then add 1 tbsp of broad beans and 2 tbsp of the dressing and mix well.
4. Sit the metal rings onto a square of greaseproof paper on a flat plate then add a spoonful of broad bean into each ring, then half the crab mixture and finish with another layer of broad beans. Drizzle with a tiny amount of dressing then top with a round of greaseproof paper and top with a glass to use as a weight.
5. Sit in the fridge to chill for 1 hour or longer if time then transfer to a serving plate and carefully remove ring. Arrange the grapefruit segments and a drizzle of dressing around the plate, garnish with mint leaves and serve with rocket.
Tip: Peeling the broad beans may seem tedious but it is essential as the skins tend to be tough. Simply hold the broad bean with thumb and finger then tear skin and give it a squeeze.
Save 30 calories
12g fat (per serving of which saturates 1.5g)
258 calories (per serving)
13.5g carbohydrates (per serving – of which sugars 10g)