Creamy Fish and Spinach Pie
500g Jus Rol™ Puff Pastry
Beaten egg to glaze
500g smoked haddock or cod
150g cooked and peeled prawns
4-5 tbsp. milk
200g spinach – washed and drained
150ml single cream
Salt and black pepper to season
Poppy seeds for garnish – optional
1. Make the filling by placing the smoked fish in a shallow dish, dot with 25g of the butter and then pour the milk over. Cover with cling film and microwave on high for 3 minutes (alternatively, place all of the above in a pan and gently simmer the fish for 15 minutes or until it just starts to flake.)
2. Remove the fish from the dish retaining the cooking liquid. Discard the skin and any bones and break the fish into large flakes, place in an ovenproof pie (approx. 1l. /2pts in capacity) dish with the prawns.
3. Blitz the fish liquor with the spinach in a blender until the spinach is finely chopped, add the cream and mix for a few more seconds. Melt the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and then stir in the spinach sauce mixture, bring to the boil stirring all the while and allow to thicken, season to taste and allow to cool. NB if the sauce is very thick add a little more milk at this stage.
4. Meanwhile preheat oven to 220ºC (200ºC for fan assisted) Gas Mark 7.
Roll out pastry large enough to cover the dish (or half for each dish if using 2) with some to spare. Cut strips from the edges of the pastry, and lay on the rim of the pie dish, having first brushed it lightly with beaten egg. Brush the pastry rim with beaten egg, and lay the remaining pastry over the dish. Trim off the excess using a sharp knife, press firmly down around the rim to form a good seal and knock up the edges if desired.
5. Brush top with beaten egg, use any pastry trim to cut out shapes for
decoration if desired and /or sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 25
minutes or until pastry is risen and golden brown. Serve hot.