Creamy Raspberry and Oat Cake
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours standing
Cooking: 20 minutes
Suitable for freezing
Suitable for vegetarians
50g (2oz) Jordans Quick & Creamy Porridge Oats
150ml (1/4 pint) half fat crème fraiche
50g (2oz) caster sugar
100g (4oz) raspberries
150g (6oz) butter, softened
150g (6oz) caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g (2oz) ground almonds
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
150g (6oz) raspberries
- First make the filling. Mix the oats with the crème fraiche and caster sugar and leave to stand for 1 hour. Stir in half the raspberries, crushing them slightly.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm (8 inch) loose-based cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs, beating between each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract and ground almonds, then fold in the flour. Reserve 8 raspberries, then fold the remainder into the cake mixture.
- Divide the cake mix between the prepared tins, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to the touch. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To serve, spread about two-thirds of the oat mixture over one cake and sandwich the second cake on top. Spoon 8 small dollops of the remaining mixture around the edge of the cake and decorate with the reserved raspberries.