Duck with spiced apples & red cabbage
½ red cabbage, finely shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Kanzi apples, peeled and chopped
¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 Kanzi apple finely diced
1tbsp red wine vinegar
4 duck breasts
1 tsp of Chinese 5 spice
- For the cabbage, add the oil to a hot pan that has a lid. Add the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes before stirring in the sugar and vinegar.
- Add the cinnamon stick and apples, stir and cover and cook on a low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, season with pepper.
- Score the fat of the duck breasts – this will help remove the fat when cooked, then dust the skin and flesh with the 5 spice.
- Pre heat the oven to 200oc.
- Place the breasts, skin side down in a cold frying pan then turn on the heat.
- Slowly cook the duck over a medium heat, removing the excess fat in the pan as you go.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes until crispy then pop into the oven for 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven then turn so the skin is facing upwards and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the duck is resting, dust the bottom of a small frying pan with the sugar. Allow to caramelize.
- Dust your diced apples in 5 spice then carefully add them, along with the vinegar to your pan. Stir.
- Slice the duck breast into 5 slices, place on top of a bed of red cabbage and spoon round your sweet and sour apples.
- Serve with warmed new potatoes.