This is a nice Easter treat but quite rich so it is perfect for a family gathering as it will stretch to feed lots of people for either morning coffee or afternoon tea.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
150g sunflower spread
100g unrefined caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
200g plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
100g Jordan’s Country Crisp Chocolate
125g marzipan, diced
50g 70% dark chocolate
50g unrefined caster sugar
2 tbsp boiling water
50g Jordan’s Country Crisp Chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 170 C fan oven/ Mk 5. Line a 2lb/ 900g loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Beat together sunflower spread and sugar until light and creamy. Stir in egg and milk gradually, alternating with a spoonful of flour.
3. Fold in remaining flour, the cornflour and the baking powder. Fold in Jordan’s Country Crisp Chocolate.
4. Spoon half of the mix into the prepared loaf tin. Add the marzipan, then the remaining cake mix. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
5. Leave in the tin to cool slightly while you melt the chocolate for the topping. Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave.
6. Stir the boiling water into the sugar, and then stir all into the chocolate. Set the cake on a rack, and spoon over the chocolate icing. Spoon over the Jordan’s Country Crisp Chocolate, and press into the chocolate icing.
7. Leave to cool completely – about 2 hours, before slicing.