Hot Cross Buns
Home made Hot Cross buns are so much nicer than shop bought. The kitchen fills with the glorious scents of fruits and spices as they cook. Eat them warm and fresh from the oven to appreciate them at their best.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Portions: 8 large buns
250 grams Allinson Premium White Very Strong Bread Flour For the Dough
250 grams Allinson Premium Wholemeal Very Strong Bread Flour For the Dough
7 sachet Allinsons Easy Bake Yeast For the Dough
1 tsp Mixed Spice For the Dough
1 tsp Salt For the Dough
50 grams Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar For the Dough
250 ml Milk For the Dough
1 Egg For the Dough
50 grams Butter For the Dough, Softened
100 grams Raisins For the Dough, sultanas or currants
1 Orange For the dough, grated zest
Egg Wash To finish
50 grams Shortcrust pastry To finish
1. Put the flour, sugar, spice, yeast and salt into a bowl.
2. Stir in the milk, butter and egg to form a soft dough.
3. Mix in the dried fruits of your choice along with the zest of the orange.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
5. Place in a clean bowl and cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove. The dough will
double in size, this can take up to an hour.
6. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape then place on a lightly floured baking tray.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6
7. Brush with egg wash and finish the buns with a cross made from the shortcrust pastry.
8. Glaze once more and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.