Extra Mature Cheddar & Butternut Squash Risotto
Risotto is the perfect comfort food – and it’s brilliant as an easy dish for relaxed entertaining…
Serves: 6 (Suitable for vegetarians)
1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into small cubes (about 350g/12oz prepared weight)
3 tbsp olive oil
Pinch cumin seeds or ground cumin
450g (1lb) risotto rice
1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
200ml (1/3 pint) dry white wine
1.2 litres (2 pints) hot vegetable stock
75g (3oz) PILGRIMS CHOICE Extra Mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
50g (2oz) frozen petit pois or garden peas, thawed
3-4 sage leaves, torn into pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sage leaves and extra grated PILGRIMS CHOICE Cheddar, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Put the butternut squash chunks into a roasting pan, sprinkle with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the cumin seeds or ground cumin. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
2. At the same time, heat the remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan or saucepan and add the rice. Cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the rice looks translucent, but not brown.
3. Add the spring onions, garlic and red pepper. Cook gently for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Pour in the white wine and let it bubble up for a few moments. Add a couple of ladlefuls of hot stock. Stir well, then cook over a medium heat for 20-25 minutes, gradually adding the remaining stock a ladleful at a time, until the rice is tender.
5. Add the grated cheese, peas, roasted butternut squash and torn sage leaves, stirring them through gently. Season to taste, then serve with sage leaves and extra grated cheese.
Cook’s Tip! Choose Italian arborio or carnaroli rice to give a deliciously creamy result.