Apple and Cheese Scone Loaf
These scone wedges are ideal for lunchboxes, afternoon snacks, or served warm with your favourite soup.
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
210 kcal (10.5% GDA)
5.4g fat (7.7% GDA)
2.6g saturates (13% GDA)
6g sugar (6.7% GDA)
0.9g salt (15% GDA)
1½ servings of whole grain
115g/4oz wholemeal flour
115g/4oz plain white flour
3tsp baking powder
85g/3oz Nestlé Shreddies, crumbled
2 Cox’s apples, halved, cored and chopped
75g/2 ¾ oz extra mature cheddar, finely grated
150ml/¼ pint semi-skimmed milk
1 large egg
2tbsp whole grain mustard
- Preheat the oven to 210C/425F/ Gas 7.
- Place the flours, baking powder and crumbled Shreddies in a large bowl and mix together well. Stir in the apples and ¾ of the cheese.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, egg and mustard. Add this to the dry ingredients and gently combine to form a sticky dough.
- Scrape the dough out onto the middle of a lightly floured non-stick baking tray.
- With lightly floured hands, pat out the dough to an approximate 20cm/8in round. Lightly flour the top and mark the round of dough into 8 triangles with a knife, taking care not to cut all the way through the dough.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Best served warm and eaten on the same day.