Aromatic Beef With Pumpkin
A healthy family recipe that will please all…
Prep: 15-20 minutes
Cook: 15-20 minutes
2 onions, peeled and cut into thick slices
500g (1lb 2oz) pumpkin, peeled and cut into small cubes
500g (1lb 2oz) lean beef fillet
60ml (2fl oz) soy sauce
1 tsp artificial sweetener
1 bird’s-eye chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp finely shredded ginger
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp ground star anise
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tbsp oyster sauce
4 spring onions, shredded
a small handful of sweet basil leaves (optional)
a small handful of mint leaves (optional)
- Spray a non-stick wok with Fry Light and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and pumpkin and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook gently for 5-6 minutes, or until just tender.
- Place the beef between 2 sheets of cling film and beat with a mallet or rolling pin until thin. Cut into thin strips.
- Put a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the soy sauce, sweetener, chilli, ginger, fish sauce, star anise, five-spice and oyster sauce. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beef strips to the soy mixture and stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Add the pumpkin mixture, spring onions and herbs, if using, to the beef, toss well and serve immediately.