Beef and Vegetables in a Red Wine Sauce
A great hearty family meal
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1kg (2lbs) stewing steak
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
100g mushrooms sliced
1 onion chopped
400g (14oz) tinned tomatoes & drained
25ml (1/4 pt) water
3 beef stock cubes
250ml (1/2 pt) red wine
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
175g/6oz self raising flour
75g/3oz shredded suet
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Good pinch of salt and pepper
Water to mix
1. In a large, non-stick frying pan, brown the steak in batches and place into the new Prestige Slow Cooker cooking pot.
2. Then add the carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion.
3. Combine the tomatoes, water, stock,wine, herbs, salt and pepper. Pour into the cooking pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
4. On completion of cooking, thicken with gravy granules for an even richer, beefy flavour.
To finish off this traditional tasty meal, serve with dumplings…
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the suet, parsley, salt and pepper.
2. Add enough water (about 3 tbsp) to make a soft, but not sticky, dough.
3. Lightly flour your hands and roll the dough into eight small balls. Add the dumplings 30-40 mins before the end of cooking time and cook on a high setting.