Braised Beef with Madeira Sauce
Serve the brisket with the sauce, crushed potatoes and steamed cabbage.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30-40minutes
1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
75g/3oz bacon, roughly chopped or bacon lardons
6 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 small bunch fresh herbs (such as winter savory, oregano and thyme)
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 celery sticks, chopped
450ml/¾pint good, hot beef stock
450ml/¾pint Madeira wine
10ml/2tsp good quality truffle oil
1. Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon, shallots and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
3. In the same frying pan heat the oil and brown the joint on all sides for 4-5 minutes and transfer to the dish.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, cover the dish with 2 sheets of greaseproof paper or foil and secure with a lid.
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob for the calculated cooking time until the beef is tender.
6. Remove the joint from the pan, transfer to a warm plate, cover and rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile add the truffle oil to the sauce and stir gently.
7. Serve the brisket with the sauce, crushed potatoes and steamed cabbage.
Tip: Alternatively, cook in the oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C,325°F.